Coming into spring, I deal with more congestion and stuffiness, especially at night. It doesn’t matter if it is due to allergies or just a cold coming on. Not being able to get good sleep makes it rough the next day. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t struggle when congestion and labored breathing is an issue.
When I was a little girl, we used another vapor rub for congestion, but it was not natural. I remember the warming effect it had on my chest and how the vapor it created helped me to breathe better. The smell of this vapor rub recipe is similar to the one I grew up with and it brings back memories.
This vapor rub has great ingredients that include antiviral and antibacterial properties. It gives fast relief for chest and head congestion, along with being comforting and warm. The vapor rub will stay fresh in a jar with a lid on it for about a year. I know you will want to mix this up the next time you feel that dreaded congestion coming on.
Vapor Rub Ingredients
- 4 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa butter
- 2 tbsp beeswax
- 35 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 15 drops rosemary essential oil
- 8 drops melaleuca essential oil
- Glass measuring cup
- 1 4-ounce glass jar with lid
1. Gather all ingredients.
2. Measure coconut oil, cocoa butter and beeswax.
3. Place in a glass measuring cup.
4. Heat in the microwave, just until melted.
5. Allow to cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Now that it has cooled, add essential oils and mix well.
7. Carefully pour into glass jar. Allow to completely cool before placing lid on jar.
The mix will become a rub once it cools completely. Rub onto the chest as needed when congested.
— Leilani Hampton